- November 3, 2019
9:00 am - 5:30 pm
We are seeking expressions of interest in attending an Understanding Lactation Consultancy and Oral Restrictions course in Brisbane on 3 November 2019. Details of the course and pricing are below. If you have a desire to attend this course, please indicate by registering and filling out your details. If we have sufficient interest, we will schedule the course and advise you accordingly.
Brisbane, Sunday 3 November 2019
6.5 CPD Hours (6.5 CERPs)
Presented by Tamika Newman (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) with guest lecturer Dr Marjan Jones
This course will serve to teach lactation consultants and midwives the protocols for identification, diagnosis, and effective treatment and aftercare of lip and tongue ties for infants and toddlers.
Whilst focusing on education of lactation consultants and midwives, other allied practitioners such as dentists, bodyworkers and others addressing oral restrictions will benefit from attendance.
Valuable insight will be given by and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) who is highly experienced in working collaboratively with infants and toddlers with oral restriction. The vital role of IBCLCs in effective diagnosis and treatment of patients with oral restrictions will be highlighted.
Two distinct roles will be discussed. The first is that of a Lactation Consultant working in the wider community, and their essential role in assisting diagnosis, making referrals, and supporting this age group post-operatively. The second is that of a Lactation Consultant working within an infant / toddler oral restriction clinic. Their role during the consultation process, during surgery, and in the immediate post-operative care period will be highlighted.
Who is this course for?
- Lactation Consultants and mid-wives – both in private practice and hospital settings
- Lactation Consultants wishing to work within an infant oral restriction clinic
- Body Workers / Manual Therapists wishing to work collaboratively
- Laser surgeons (such as dentists) wishing to work collaboratively
- Speech Pathologists and Occupational Therapists wishing to work collaboratively
What you will learn:
- The Tongue and the Journey through life…
- Tongue function is for more than just feeding
- The role of the Lactation Consultant and Midwife in the wider community
- The role of the Lactation Consultant in an oral restriction clinic – being part of a surgical team
- Identification of oral restrictions
- Pre-surgical support – Care plans for oral restrictions – maintaining supply, alternative feeding methods
- Making an appropriate referral
- Preparing the parents for the laser clinic consultation
- Coordination of appointments
- Post-surgical feeding support
- Monitoring progress and assessing for success
Held at the Sofitel Brisbane Central, a delightful learning environment will be provided including a luxury buffet lunch at the famous Thyme2 restaurant.
Completion of the Foundation Course is an essential pre-requisite for participation in the Understanding Lactation Consultancy & Oral Restrictions Course.
Date: Sunday 3 November 2019
Times: 8:30am to 5:30pm
Presenters: IBCLC Tamika Newman with guest lecturers Dr Marjan Jones and Dr Dan Hanson
Venue: Sofitel Brisbane Central 249 Turbot St, Brisbane QLD 4000
All attendees – $295 ex GST ($395 ex GST after early bird)
Please note if you wish to cancel your registration at any time before the expiry of the early bird period, an administration fee of 10% of your registration fee will be levied with the remainder refunded to you. If you wish to cancel after the expiry of the early bird, you will be refunded 50% of the registration fee. No refunds are available for cancellations within 28 days of the event. Please contact email@example.com if you have any queries with regard to this policy.